The Global Igbo Leaders (GIL), met on Friday 21st January 2022, after a critical review of the Igbo Archbishops and Bishops report. GIL had earlier, diligently consulted with the authentic Igbo organisations and persons globally and in our homeland and agreed to endorse The Representatives of Igbo Archbishops and Bishops release of the much-anticipated recommendations on the way forward for Ohanaeze Ndigbo. In any conflict resolution, there is always give and take to appease the aggrieved parties. While the GIL was strongly against the conduct of the election, it has become imperative that as stated by the Representatives of Igbo Archbishops and Bishops, that Igbo survival and interest must override sectional or individual interests. As a result, The GIL resolved to back the recommendations of the Representatives of Igbo Archbishops and Bishops.
For Ohanaeze Ndigbo to assume its leadership role, this part of the recommendations made by the Representatives of Igbo Archbishops and Bishops below must be strictly adhered to, failing which, the GIL will back out of its support for the recommendations: This is the only way the GIL will recognize Ohanaeze Ndigbo as the true Igbo mouthpiece and leader.
It must be noted that minority voices in the GIL, would have preferred more immediate stringent measures in view of the manner the elections were conducted, but for peace to prevail and Ndigbo to move on, the majority of the GIL agreed to endorse the report.
The GIL commended the Representatives of Igbo Archbishops and Bishops for the service to Ndigbo.
27TH JANUARY, 2022
The GIL commended the Concern Imeobi (CIM), for taking decisive action in rescuing Ohanaeze Ndigbo from total destruction.
The GIL commended the warring factions and the group of contestants for honouring their pledge to support the outcome of the Representatives of Igbo Archbishops and Bishops Report.
- In accordance with the report, the GIL agreed that persons of good character and integrity be assigned to positions and Heads of standing Committees of Ohanaeze and this could also be assigned either to competent persons from the aggrieved parties or to those currently holding positions that may now be assigned to others.
- The GIL agrees to the report’s recommendation that Professor Obiozor will be retained as the President-General on the condition that he accepts the recommendations of the report.
- The GIL agrees that the position of Deputy President-General be given to Barr. Uche Okwukwu, from Rivers State, which was drawn from Chidi lbe, led Group, considering the touch from Rivers State.
- Secretary-General to Prince Okechukwu Nwadinobi from the group of contestants and with the touch from Abia State.
The GIL resolved that the Representatives of Igbo Archbishops and Bishops should invite within a week, ONLY Statutory members of IMEOBI, to a meeting at the Chike Nwizu Hall, Cathedral Church of the Good Shepherd, Enugu, to receive the report.
- Imeobi to approve the setting up of a committee to Review the Ohanaeze Ndigbo Constitution, so as to address the constitutional lapses that remotely occasioned the crisis. Care has to be taken to exclude all political office holders from the governance of Ohanaeze.
- As recommended in the report, a body of experts should be set up to explore better ways of funding Ohanaeze that would ensure its financial stability without compromising its autonomy.
- GIL agreed that all Ohanaeze Ndigbo operations should resume at the headquarters (7 Park Avenue), Enugu immediately.
The GIL respectfully thanks the Concerned Imeobi Ohanaeze and Representatives of Igbo Archbishops and Bishops for this selfless and timely effort to rescue Ohanaeze Ndigbo and by extension Alaigbo and Ndigbo from the brink.
Christian Onuorah Coordinator GIL
Global Igbo Leaders (GIL) Members.
- Igbo World Assembly (IWA)
- World Igbo Congress (WIC)
- Council of Igbo States America (CISA) 4. Europe Igbo community (EIC)
- Anioma Redemption Group
- One Voice Women Movement
- Nkata Ndi Iyom Igbo
- Igbo Board of Deputies
- Council of Igbo communities (CIC) UK 11. Igbo Heritage Group
- Hoo! Haa!!
- Gideon Africa Team