Home News Lagos Government Reacts To Mass Burial Reports, Says Bodies Were Those Killed...

Lagos Government Reacts To Mass Burial Reports, Says Bodies Were Those Killed Across The State During The ENDSARS Riots And Not At Lekki Toll Gate

581
0

The government of Lagos State has reacted to trending reports of a circular that showed it planned mass burial for #EndSARs victims.

The State government in a statement on its social media pages said the victims are not those killed at the Lekki Tollgates but those who lost their lives during the protests in different parts of the State.

There was a leaked memo earlier today showing that the state government approved the sum of N61 million for the mass burial of bodies recovered during the crisis that erupted during October 20, 2020 EndSARS protest.

Netizens upon seeing the memories berated the state government for approving the money when during the crisis, the state government claimed nobody died at the Lekki tollgate.

The Lagos government said the bodies to be buried were retrieved from other parts of the state and not from Lekki tollgate, even as it insisted that nobody was killed at the Lekki tollgate.

See the full statement below:

RE: MASS BURIAL OF ENDSARS VICTIMS (MISCHIEF MAKERS AT WORK)

The attention of the Lagos State Government has been drawn to some social media publications about a purported mass burial plan for casualties of the 2020 #EndSARS incident.

Peddlers of the news are deliberately misinterpreting and sensationalizing a letter from the Lagos State Government Public Procurement Agency titled: Letter of No Objection – Mass Burial for the 103, the Year 2020 ENDSARS victims, to misinform the public, stir public sentiment and cause public disaffection against the Lagos State Government.

While the Lagos State Government would not have dignified the mischievous elements peddling such news with a response, we consider it appropriate to set the records straight and draw the attention of well-meaning citizens to the antics of some unscrupulous elements who are hell bent on disrupting the peace and tranquility of Lagos with distorted news and half-truth about the PPA letter.

It is public knowledge that the year 2020 #EndSARS crisis that snowballed into violence in many parts of Lagos recorded casualties in different areas of the State and NOT from the Lekki Toll Gate as being inferred in the mischievous publications.

For the records, the Lagos State Environmental Health Unit (SEHMU) picked up bodies in the aftermath of #EndSARS violence and community clashes at Fagba, Ketu, Ikorodu, Orile, Ajegunle, Abule-Egba, Ikeja, Ojota, Ekoro, Ogba, Isolo and Ajah areas of Lagos State, including a jailbreak at Ikoyi Prison. The 103 casualties mentioned in the document were from these incidents and NOT from Lekki Toll-gate as being alleged. For the avoidance of doubt, no body was retrieved from the Lekki Toll Gate incident.

In the aftermath of the #EndSARS violence, the office of the Chief Coroner invited members of the public Throughout public adverts and announcement who had lost loved ones or whose relatives had been declared missing between 19th and 27th October 2020 from various clashes as mentioned above, to contact the department of Pathology and Forensic Medicine of the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) to help with identification of these casualties deposited in State-owned morgues. Relatives were to undergo DNA tests for identification purposes. It is important to state categorically that nobody responded to claim any of the bodies.

However, after almost three years, the bodies remain unclaimed, adding to the congestion of the morgues. This spurred the need to decongest the morgues – a procedure that follows very careful medical and legal guidelines in the event that a relative may still turn up to claim a lost relative years after the incident.

Decongestion of our public morgues is a periodic and regular exercise approved by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu to free up space in mortuaries that have a large number of unclaimed bodies.

#AGreaterLagosRising
#LASG

RELATED POSTS:  Tinsel Star And Nollywood Veteran, Victor Olaotan Nollywood Is Dead
Previous articleKaduna diphtheria death toll hits 13 in two LGAs
Next articleBreaking: Celebrity Native Doctor In Anambra State, Akwa Okuko Tiwaraki Kidnapped, Two Of His Guard Killed