The Governor of Ebonyi State, His Excellency, Engr. Chief David Nweze Umahi, has convoked an expanded Security/Stakeholders meeting in the state capital to discuss the current security challenges, with a view of finding lasting solutions, Njenje Media News reports.
The meeting was well attended by government functionaries (Past and present), including the present and past Governors, Speakers, Chief Judges, Law Makers, State Executive Council members, Boards/ Commissions members, Chairmen of LGAs, Coordinators of Development Centres and other Stakeholders including the Founding Fathers, Elders Council members, State CAN EXCO /Bishops, Traditional Rulers, Security Chiefs Organized Labour– NLC, TUC, NUT, NULGE and NUJ.
representatives of ASUU-EBSU, representatives of SSANU- EBSU, representatives of NASU- EBSU, representatives of NAAT- EBSU, representatives of Students Union Government EBSU, Presidents of Town Unions, stakeholders from Enyigba/Enyibichiri, Iyionu/Ezillo, Effium/Ezza Effium, Ohankwu/Amana, Ishinkwo-Ukawu/Abaomege, and representatives of Ebubeagu Security Outfit, held at the State Ecumenical Centre, Abakaliki, this 10th day of June 2021.
A communiqué was issued after all contributions and deliberations as follows:
- That the stakeholders express satisfaction with the way and manner the Governor of the State, His Excellency, Engr. Chief David Nweze Umahi, FNSE, FNATE (Akubaraoha) has handled the security challenges in the state and therefore pass a vote of confidence on the Governor for his commitment towards ending insecurity and communal clashes in the state.
- That the stakeholders condemn the violent attacks and wanton destruction of lives and properties orchestrated by criminal elements and armed herdsmen in the state, and urge the leaders and the youths to rise against all forms of attacks in the state, as this is a deliberate attempt by enemies of the state to derail the laudable and enviable progress so far made in the state.
- That the threat to unleash more mayhem by herdsmen and agitators is well noted and we have resolved to confront maximally any act of attack or banditry in any part of the state.
- That, in furtherance of the security arrangements of the State Government, a security committee shall be set up in each ward and Local Government Area and members shall meet at least every month to review security situations and make returns on the security situations in their respective domains to the State Government.
The Council Chairmen have been charged to liaise accordingly with the stakeholders and immediately set up security Committees in their respective Local Government Areas, who shall be interfacing with stakeholders on the security challenges in their communities.
- That the stakeholders and leaders of the various communities are challenged to take full responsibility in preventing their youths from getting involved in violent attacks, armed banditry, destruction of public facilities and killing of security officials and other innocent citizens in the name of agitation.
- That leaders in all fields of life must know that the youths are the leaders of tomorrow and must therefore show concern by getting involved in value re-orientation and empowerment of our youths.
- That our youths should take the mantle of leadership positively and lead the campaign against communal clashes and banditry as economic sabotage to the future of the state.
- That the stakeholders appeal to the youths to leverage on the empowerment programmes and job opportunities being created by the state government to get into a dignifying means of livelihood to secure their future.
- That the stakeholders reiterate the commitment of the people of Ebonyi State to one indivisible, virile and egalitarian Nigeria, where there is love, peace, equity, equality, equal opportunities, justice and fairness in the national socio-economic and political equation, and that the leaders are ready to aggregate all agitation issues and engage Federal Government to address such issues,
- That the stakeholders across political divide shall be meeting from time to time to review the security situation in the state and shall together as a people fight the battle against insecurity and communal clashes in the state.