Home Sports EFCC, ICPC Probe N12bn NFF Intervention Fund Over Players’ Wages, Bonuses

EFCC, ICPC Probe N12bn NFF Intervention Fund Over Players’ Wages, Bonuses

74
0

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) are probing the management of a N12 billion Federal Government intervention fund allocated to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) for players’ salaries and bonuses.

 

The development was disclosed in a letter signed by Onoja Joshua, Esq., on behalf of the NFF General Secretary, following a request for financial records and utilisation documents concerning the fund.

 

Dated August 18, 2026, the letter was addressed to the Principal Partner of Cromwell & Okeke in response to correspondence dated August 7 and received by the NFF on August 11.

 

The request was submitted under the Freedom of Information Act and sought financial records and other documents relating to the N12 billion intervention fund reportedly provided to the NFF for players’ wages and bonuses.

 

However, the football federation declined to release the documents, stating that the matter was already being investigated by the EFCC and ICPC.

 

In the letter, referenced NFF/LEG/10/1/879 and titled, “Re: Application for disclosure of financial records and utilisation logs regarding the N12 billion Federal Government Intervention Fund released for players’ wages and bonuses,” the NFF said the relevant documents were currently with the two anti-corruption agencies.

 

“I am directed to refer to the above subject matter and your correspondence dated 7th August, 2026 but received on 11th August, 2026,” the letter stated.

 

“It is my instruction to inform you that the subject matter of the request under the Freedom of Information Act are subject of investigations by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).”

RELATED POSTS:  Body of ex-Newcastle United player, Christian Atsu, found in Turkey earthquake rubble

 

The NFF added: “Therefore, all documents relating to the request are before Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).”

 

The disclosure has raised further questions about how the N12 billion intervention fund was managed, particularly given that it was specifically allocated for players’ wages and bonuses.

 

The federation did not identify the aspects of the fund’s spending that led to the investigations, nor did it disclose the allegations or transactions being examined by the EFCC and ICPC.

 

It also did not reveal when the investigations began, which individuals or officials may be under scrutiny, or whether anyone had been invited or questioned by either agency.

 

The development brings the administration of the intervention fund under investigation by Nigeria’s two principal anti-corruption bodies.

 

The EFCC is responsible for investigating financial crimes, while the ICPC investigates and prosecutes corruption-related offences and works to prevent corrupt practices within public institutions.

 

The investigations come against the backdrop of continuing concerns over the financing and administration of Nigerian football, especially the handling of public funds allocated to national teams and players.

 

Sources said the NFF claimed a significant portion of the N12 billion was used to settle hotel accommodation expenses incurred for players at various levels of government.

 

In January 2024, reports stated that President Bola Tinubu had approved the settlement of outstanding Federal Government payments owed to the Super Eagles and other national sports teams.

 

According to a statement posted on Tinubu’s Media Centre X handle, the payment covered 15 months of unpaid salaries owed to coaches of the senior national team, alongside allowances and other outstanding payments to the senior men’s, women’s and Under-20 national teams.

RELATED POSTS:  Rumour Has It: Chelsea, Real Madrid and Man City prepare bids for Croatia talent Josko Gvardiol

 

“President @officialABAT has approved the payment of N12 billion outstanding backlog for Nigeria’s National teams of various sports, which includes Super Eagles and others,” the statement read.

 

“The payment entails the clearing of the senior national team coach salaries running up to 15 months, payments of allowances and promises due to the senior national teams, females, and Under-20 national team.”

 

On Tuesday, reports emerged that the Ibrahim Musa Gusau-led NFF board had written to FIFA, the world football governing body, seeking intervention against plans by the Nigerian government to remove the board.

 

According to OwnGoalNigeria.com, the Federal Government had authorised the National Sports Commission (NSC) to establish an interim committee to oversee Nigerian football and suspend the planned NFF election.

 

The reported decision followed the failure of the women’s national team to qualify for the Women’s World Cup for the first time in its history.